Tuesday, September 15, 2009

As a mommy, I have come to realize a few things.....


As a new mom there are some things that I have learned that I would not have thought possible before becoming a mom. Here are a few:


1. When in public,,, older moms will almost always give me unsolicited parenting advice. Some I like,,, most I would rather not hear. The biggest topic for me is the topic of Attachment Parenting. Bill and I use this philosophy. It works for us. It means that we breastfeed (ok,, i do that part) babywear, and cosleep. If you chose NOT to do this with your babies, thats great, but we do. So please don't tell us that we shouldnt.

2. I have realized that my desire to feed Liam an all organic diet is coming to an end. It has now become almost impossible to do so. Well, I shouldnt say impossible, but rather difficult. If Panama City had a Whole Foods Market, this would be much easier. But hey,,, if anyone finds "organic gold fish" please let me know. I already found that Kraft makes organic mac and cheese.

3. If all Liam wants to eat is macaroni and cheese,,, who freaking cares! The boy likes macaroni and cheese. Plus, he is still (yes, STILL) nursing so Im really not worried at this point that he will become malnurished.

4. If he sleeps for 2 hours during one nap and 30 minutes during the next,,, no big deal.

5. I can't do everything at once. Sometimes, the dishes will pile up,,,, and so will the laundry. When Bill is home it's a lot easier, when he's gone,,, I am done trying to be SUPER MOM.

6. One of the biggest things I have learned as a mom is that I never, ever, in my wildest dreams thought it would be possible to love someone so much. Liam brings tears to my eyes every day. I watch him sleep and wonder how Bill and I got so lucky. I watch him play and discover new things. I watch the determination in his eyes as he tries to pick up the dog bowl that is full of water. I wonder how he sees that spec of dust across the room on the floor then crawls over to it to deeply "inspect" it in his tiny fingers. I find it amazing that when he does something funny he will look at Bill and I to see if we are laughing. I am thankful for so many tihngs in my life, but the biggest blessing of all is this amazingly perfect child we have. Thank you God for him.

7. Last not least, one thing I have realized is how good it made me feel when Bill Looked at me the other day while I was holding Liam and said "THANK YOU". I said "for what"? Bill said: "For him". No Bill, "Thank YOU! "

5 comments:

Bryan and Miranda said...

This made me cry. I think you are an amazing Mommy and Billiam :) is a wonderful Daddy. Liam is spectacular! It's obvious and apparent that you all have tons of love to share and are FAR from making any "wrong" decisions, no matter what anyone else may think. After all, it's about following your heart right? You are doing an amazing job and whatever you decide to do is your choice and that's okay.

Lacey said...

Ok, I admit that I shed tears too. #6 got me, but #7 put the icing on the cake. :). Like MRH said, y'all are doing a fine job and who cares what other people think. Y'all are his parents, and you know what is best for YOUR child. I'm sure we do things with Brody that other people may not agree with as well. OH WELL, he is my kid...right!

Unknown said...

1. As parents, you will always have the right to raise your kids they way you want....it's no ones choice but yours. As a non mother and a curious mind, where do cosleepers draw the line? When they are 12?

2.I knew organic would not work from day one but it was certainly worth a try. You and I turned out just fine and did not eat organic or heck, we did not eat veggies til we were adults i think.


3. Did someone actually tell you Milk would be malnurished for only eating mac and cheese for a meal?? That boy loves fruit and eats it everyday doesnt he???


4. About napping -----you have me wondering now who has been giving you flack about all these subjects...some are flat out odd!


5. Super moms SUCK...who wants to even TRY to be a supermom???

6. He IS an amazing little creature. Just tonight, i watched him spot the fork on my plate that was pushed so far back on the coffee table and was he ever determined to get it. He thought we werent watching too! :)

7. Thanks to neither of you...Liam is truley the work of god!!! :)

Jovina and Bill said...

jen, many and most nursing mothers co sleep for sake of convenience. onve they are done nursing is usually when the transition to the crib is made. some much later than others. since i am slowly weaning Liam, we are slowly transitioning him now.

Grandma Joney said...

Hi there, J & B:
Loved this post . . . .34 yrs ago we didn't call it 'cosleep' . . I called it saving my sanity as a new and back to work Mom.

I KNOW folks love to give advice -- and one great thing about getting to be 39 (again!) is that I've learned to keep my mouth shut. Usually, if someone wants advice, they will ask. As if!!!

You can be sure I really had to clench my teeth when out in public with Jacob and Andrew and the challenges of Autism! For example: 'what that kid needs is a good beating!' and yes, that is SO helpful! :-(

You go, girl! Do what YOU think is right and someday Liam will be telling you he wouldn't trade you for ANYONE! hugs ~ Joney